You may also make a crustless sweet potato pie with the remaining sweet potato casserole if you want to save some calories. Just use the same measurements as you would for regular sweet potatoes, but reduce the amount of sugar. Turn the temperature in the oven up to 350 degrees F. Spray a pie pan measuring 9 inches in diameter with nonstick cooking spray and put it aside.
What to do with leftover sweet potatoes?
Do not be discouraged if the leftover sweet potato you have is of the type that comes with marshmallows on top and a significant amount of sugar. The surplus might still be put to use in the preparation of mouthwatering sweets. Simply remove what is left of your casserole with a spoon and fold it into a standard batter.
What can I make with sweet potatoes?
- Sweet potatoes are an excellent choice for the filling of pancakes that are shallow-fried, and you may name them latkes, potato pancakes, or fritters.
- You may make them entirely out of sweet potatoes, or you can combine them with a variety of other root vegetables.
- An fragrant and reassuring dish perfect for the colder months, sweet potato gratin is made by combining sweet potatoes, cream, cheese, and other herbs.
What can I substitute for strawberry pie filling?
- You may give your pie a patriotic appearance by substituting blueberry pie filling for one of the layers of strawberry pie filling, or you can use whatever filling you choose.
- —Lori Thorp, Frazee, Minnesota Create a ″nest″ out of puff pastry that you bought already prepared to hold delicious apples by making it crispy.
- A dash of cinnamon and some other spices, and the dessert is ready to be served.
Serve with ice cream to add a touch of added decadence to the dish.
How do you store leftover sweet potato pie filling?
To prevent the filling from getting freezer burn, place it in a bag that can be frozen after first wrapping it in foil. You may keep frozen fillings in the freezer for three to four months, which just so happens to coincide with the season of Christmas baking. It is recommended that you freeze the filling in the dish that will be used for baking.
How long can you keep sweet potato pie filling in the refrigerator?
After the flesh has had time to cool, it will be pureed until it is completely smooth. You may use the puree immediately, or you can cover it and keep it in the refrigerator for approximately three to five days. Either way, you can use it.
Can you freeze sweet potato pie mix?
This recipe for sweet potato pie is one that can certainly be made ahead of time and frozen. It is essential to note that the filling for this sweet potato pie recipe should be frozen before it is baked. This is due to the fact that the pie will turn out mushy if it is frozen after it has already been baked. It will still have a pleasant flavor, but the crust will have an odd texture.
Is sweet potato pie a black thing?
The use of yams and sweet potatoes, both of which are native to Africa, in place of pumpkin gave rise to a culinary custom that was later adopted in the United States and became associated with African cuisine. Since that time, sweet potato pie has been an essential component of the menus of many African-American families when they get together for holidays like Thanksgiving.
Can I refrigerate sweet potato pie filling?
Is it possible for me to cook this pie ahead of time? You absolutely can. If you want to make this sweet potato pie ahead of time, you can keep it out at room temperature and cover it loosely with aluminum foil to keep it from drying out. If you plan on cooking the pie more than a day in advance, you may wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can you freeze sweet potatoes filling?
Sweet Potato Pie Filling They should be broken up into tiny pieces with a fork after being placed in a big bowl. Mix together the remaining ingredients when they have been added. Put the pie filling in a container, make sure it’s airtight, and then place it in the freezer. When you are ready to bake your pie, you should first let the filling defrost in the refrigerator for a full day.
Does sweet potato pie need to be refrigerated after baking?
- Because sweet potato pies typically include milk and eggs, they are, in all intents and purposes, baked custard pies and should be kept in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- As a general rule, if a pie has milk, cream, or eggs in it, it has to be stored in the refrigerator.
- You will also want to store in the refrigerator any pies that contain items made from condensed milk or evaporated milk.
How long can you keep pie filling in the fridge?
This pie filling may be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks without going bad. You may also freeze it to use at a later time in your baking.
How long is homemade sweet potato pie good for?
The best way to keep a sweet potato pie for up to five days is to store it in the refrigerator, properly wrapped. Before serving, allow the food to warm to room temperature. To Freeze. Absolutely, you can put a sweet potato pie in the freezer.
Can I freeze homemade pie filling?
Freezing Pie Filling In the event that you so wish, dot with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg. Squeeze out any excess air before sealing the bag if you plan on freezing the filling in it. Put the bag into the pie pan and shape it so that it fits the pan. Freeze it until it is completely firm. When the filling has reached the desired consistency, take it out of the pan.
How do you freeze leftover pie?
Either cover the food in foil and plastic wrap to create an airtight package, or store it in a freezer bag. These pies may be frozen for up to two months after they have been baked.
Can you freeze sweet potatoes raw?
By putting sweet potatoes in the freezer, you may have them whenever you want while also reducing the amount of time they need to cook. You may boil, roast, or mash sweet potatoes after they have been frozen in their raw state.
Why do black people love sweet potato pie?
- The trans-Atlantic slave trade was responsible for the forced migration of a large number of people, the most of whom were settled in the South of the United States.
- As a result, the sweet potato was initially popularized in Europe, then later in the United States.
- The ease of preparation and consumption of sweet potatoes contributed to their eventual widespread acceptance within the black community.
Is sweet potato pie a side or dessert?
A typical southern dessert, sweet potato pie is most commonly found in southern households in the role of a side dish.
Is sweet potato pie better for you than pumpkin pie?
- In contrast, if you compare pumpkin and sweet potato side by side, you’ll see that sweet potato comes out on top in terms of its nutritional profile across the board, from vitamin A to fiber to protein.
- Pumpkin is an alternative that is light and contains a minimal amount of sugar, while sweet potatoes perform more hard lifting and will eventually provide your body with more necessary nutrients.
What to do with too many sweet potatoes?
- The sweet potato acts as the foundation for a dough that is very gently flavored before being cooked to a golden brown and finished off with a maple brown butter glaze.
- Place it in your child’s lunchbox, and be ready to be nominated for Parent of the Year.
Waffles made with sweet potato If you found yourself with an abundance of candied sweet potatoes after Thanksgiving dinner, you might want to consider serving waffles the day following the holiday.
What to do with leftover sweet potato waffles?
Waffles made from sweet potato are a delicious way to use up whatever leftovers you have for breakfast or brunch. Because the recipe calls for oat flour, it is safe for gluten-free diets, and the waffles are prepared using a waffle machine. A waffle that is served hot and topped with the syrup of your choice is sure to become a family favorite.