Use baking soda or butter to improve bitter tomato sauce. We prepared massive quantities of fresh tomato spaghetti sauce for the freezer. It was so acrid. Sugar didn’t help. Longer cooking made it worse. What options do we have when serving it? –Zoe and Phil Dear Zoe and Phil, My heart goes out to you both.
There is no cure that is 100 percent guaranteed, but you can experiment with these emergency measures by using a small amount of the sauce.1 cup sauce heated with 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (baking soda neutralizes acidity). Add a small amount of baking soda to the sauce and taste it to see if it reduces the acidity.
How I cut the acidity in pasta sauce
If there is still a border, incorporate a teaspoon of butter and allow it to melt until creamy. Typically, this is sufficient. If neither solution works, discard the sauce. Do not submit yourself to an entire year of disappointing food. Consider it an educational experience.
- Next year, look for fruits that are rich, sweet, and sour, and don’t worry if they are plum-style.
- Make excellent sauces with Muir Glen, Red Gold, or Hunt’s for the time being.
- They will not disappoint you.
- I can provide some solace with this simple pasta sauce.
- It freezes effectively.
- Don Giovanni was a pasta-loving village priest.